7.23.2008

Something in the air




It is one of those strange and ominous weather nights. I was exhausted after work today and when I got home, Aaron was heading off to work. I fell asleep on the couch with the windows open since it is the first cool night I have experienced in a while.

It's cloudy but it only rained earlier for a second. The wind is nice, yet a little mysterious. On evenings like this I always hear strange sounds. I kept drifting in and out of sleep to what seemed to be a long series of sirens. As I am writing this, I hear yet another. Directly following, the neighbors dogs bark.

A few minutes ago I heard a couple arguing on the street, the woman begging for the man to get in the car. Stubborn, he trudged on.

Excepting nights like these when the wind and weather is like this, our house and street is a very quiet place. There are much fewer sirens heard than when we lived downtown on Capitol Hill.

I had a guest speaker in one of my alternative therapies classes who said in her studies, she had read that suicide rates and self destructive behavior peak when the air is charged with a certain magnetism (as in stormy weather.) It's pretty far out there stuff, but every time the weather is how it is today, I hear a ton of sirens and strange happenings. It was just a full moon the other night as well. I am comforted by the fact that on both sides of my house live my guy friends who always have my back if I get a bit scared when Aaron works late or works his two over night shifts.

2 comments:

E. said...

We had that same storm and it produced some crazy thunder, lightning and pouring summer rain. It was great...we were dying for some rain. How are you girl? I never hear from you! :) Hope you are well. I love ya.

J said...

Ok, so C and I just got back from CO and let me tell you, we had that kind of weather almost the whole time we were in the mountains. I never knew southern CO had a monsoon season.